Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Dr JB Lim Talks About His Examinations

The blogger wishes to share the following interesting recollection of the examinations faced by the Great Sifu Dr JB Lim in the 1960’s.

Sent: Tuesday, 9 July 2013 12:19 AM

If you were to ask me who set my professional exam papers, I really do not know. All I know is the papers were all sealed when brought into the Examination Hall at the Senate House, University of London.

Four student candidates were taken randomly from the Hall to examine the seal. When they were satisfied the seal was not broken or tampered with, it was then opened in front of all of us and the examination papers distributed upside down (so we cannot yet see the questions) to each candidate. When all were distributed, we were asked turn the question papers over, and the countdown (time / clock) started.

That was the theory papers. As for the viva (oral exams) naturally we all have to face the External Examiners. At the University of London where I did my clinical part, the University appointed two External Examiners who were internationally renowned Professors from the Dept of Medicine, University of Cambridge. Both of them were Jews - highly learned, and highly qualified. But they were extremely nice to us. They calmed our fears, and told us (me) this:


"perhaps you know who we are, but it is better you introduce yourself to us" (with a smile). They then told me that I did very well with the theory part of my final exam, "so now if you feel you have made some mistakes in the answer papers a week ago, we now give you a chance to retrieve your mistakes."

Naturally I smiled at their great generosity. It was just a relief to be given such a rare chance at the oral exams to correct my own mistakes in the written papers.

But I was so stressed out that I could not recall of any mistakes (maybe too much of them) before they proceed to give me coloured slides of cases to diagnose, and asked me to give reasons for my diagnosis. But my two External Examiners from Cambridge were very helpful, and were smiling all the time as I tried hard to answer their questions.

They kept encouraging me, and at times even gave me hints to answer correctly. Some parts of the oral exam were done in the Examination Hall, some at the hospital the next day where examination cases were selected out. But frankly I was very nervous.

That was all I know who my examiners were (only for the oral examination where I have to meet face-to-face with them). But for the theory papers I just do not know who set the questions. My duty was to go to the main Examination Hall, Senate House, University of London from 8 am. - 5 p.m. every day for nearly one week answering new set of questions each day.

That's the very strict and very high standard of examination in this world class University of London. I also went to so many other Indian and British universities, and sat for so many, many other examinations. But I cannot remember all the countless examinations I had to go through. All I know is, I have not failed in any of them, not even once. They were all very, very stressful to me.

Thank God! They are now all long over.

jb lim

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Flag Counter