Sunday, May 26, 2013

Easier CPR can save life

The blogger’s note: In response to an email about a new and easier CPR which takes the complication out of the method that was taught and practiced a few years ago, including a demonstration of the procedure developed by doctors at the University of Arizona Sarver Heart Center viz. http://ahsc.arizona.edu/node/730 , the Great Sifu Dr JB Lim comments as follows:

From: lim juboo
Date: Thu, May 23, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Yes, about 6 years ago we, working at the Emergency Department at Kuala Lumpur Hospital in conjunction with our voluntary service for St John Ambulance, already knew about this new procedure in CPR. This is not new to us.

In fact, independently years earlier, I myself thought that applying EAR (Expired Air Resuscitation) may not even be necessary as not many rescuer like to 'kiss' another person because of fear of infection such as HIV infection, hepatitis, etc. especially if the victim has blood, vomittus and foam in his or her mouth.

So I thought to myself, the very act of compressing the chest wall, and releasing it will recoil the chest back to its original position to allow air to be drawn in.

Alternatively, if very little air enters, then there is another route I thought. Push the abdomen inwards and upwards towards the diaphragm. I thought to myself this execution is not different from the Heimlich maneuver for suffocation.

This execution will cause air from the lungs to be expelled just exactly like normal breathing. Then release. The diaphragm and abdominal muscles will recoil back to its original position, causing air to be drawn in. This is exactly like natural breathing.

I have thought of this method myself. But I do not think anyone will listen, let alone the American Heart Association (AHA).

So I just kept quiet and not want to deviate from the standard protocol when I trained first-aiders. But in an emergency, I will clinically apply this procedure of abdominal compression after every cycle of 100 cardiac compressions. I will personally do this myself even if I have to deviate from the normal procedure.

That's is what we called medical and clinical research. I too would be very apprehensive about applying my mouth onto a casualty's mouth without a face mask even in an medical emergency.

jb lim
Retired Regional Trainer and Staff Officer
St John Ambulance Malaysia
and formerly,
Editor
Malaysian Society of Traumatology and Emergency Medicine

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Flag Counter