Thursday, February 25, 2021

A Surprise Email From Dr. Tam Chat Tim

The blogger’s note:


I am pleasantly surprised this morning to have received an email 2 days ago from Dr. Tam Chat Tim, my Civil Engineering Final Year Project supervisor/tutor (1979/80 session) in the University of Singapore (later renamed as the National University of Singapore (NUS) commencing from 1980/81 session).


I have posted a brief account of meeting with Dr. Tam in my blog during a one-day YTL Cement Annual Seminar on April 9, 2015 as follows:

"Meeting Dr. Tam Chat Tim After 36 Years"

https://taionn.blogspot.com/2015/04/meeting-dr-tam-chat-tim-after-36-years.html


I suppose he must be googling and bumped into my above blog post recently and took the trouble to find my email address and write to me.   


To Dr. Tam, I must express my heartiest gratitude to you for writing to me and may I wish you good health, happiness and prosperity in this Year of the Ox and all the coming years.  It's really great to know that you are still attached with the NUS while I have already retired 3 1/2 years ago.  From: Tai Onn


The email from Dr. Tam Chat Tim (pic right) is as follows:


Date: Tue, 23 Feb at 9:43 pm 


Hi Tai Onn


I just found what you wrote about our meeting at YTL seminar in 2015.  You were wondering if I did teach any of the subjects that you took other than being your FYP on setting time.  

 

The topic on concrete material that I taught in later years was not yet introduced into the curriculum.  They were Concrete Technology in Year 3 and an elective Advanced Concrete Technology in Year 4 (CE 5604 for MSc programme).   

 

Currently CE 5604 is still being offered but part of the Year 3 material is now incorporated with mechanics.  As a result, CE 5604 has to cover materials that are no longer in the previously Concrete Technology. Not too many opts for the elective and so with insufficient knowledge on concrete when they work in the construction industry.

 

Hope this message reaches you with my best wishes for the Year of the Ox.

 

CT Tam


The blogger is pleased to share herewith a further reply from Dr. Tam as follows:


Date: Thu, 25 Feb at 3:14 pm

 

Hi Tai Onn

 

So glad to receive your mail as it indicates that my message was sent successfully to you.  

 

I retired in 1996 and since then mainly concentrate on my research interest.  


There are so much to learn from new developments in cement and concrete and to find appropriate application of new materials and technology in the construction industry.

 

The challenges of higher concrete strength and better resistance to potential durability issues with new knowledge is ever increasing with modern demand in infrastructure development.  

 

Structural design with concrete has advanced much faster with large computing capabilities than construction knowhow to catch up with suitable concrete technology to realize such novel designs.  


Structures are becoming taller and foundations deeper.  They pose new challenges for concrete construction.  

 

For sustainable concrete structures, there is the need to have new constructions that can be extended in its design life after initial design life by providing a systems that will enable extending to subsequent life/lives based on current technology.

 

Hope you will forgive an old teacher for “preaching” to the “converted” – a hoppy!

 

Best wishes for a happy and enjoyable life after retirement,

 

CT Tam


Latest update by courtesy of Dr. Tam Chat Tim (谭七甜博士,the 7th child in his family):

Dr. Tam’s current appointment at NUS is Honorary Fellow. He also acts as co-supervisor of Final Year Projects (wow, like what he was to me 42 years ago) and acts as resource person or examiner for PhD candidates.

3 Comments:

At 10:36 PM , Blogger Lim Ju Boo BSc, Postgrad Dip Nutrition, MSc, MD, PhD, FRSPH, FRSM said...

What a nostalgic encounter with an old teacher now so concrete in his profession as the concrete technology he built

Congratulations to Dr Tam Chat Tim for training up Ir Lau Tai Onn to be so concrete in his mind, academia, and versatile with his pen

I only have one nephew with the National University of Singapore

He is Prof Dr Ong Wei Yii who is a brain scientist at NUS

The other person at NUS is Prof Dr Kua Ee Heok a very well known psychiatrist there He is the brother of my Batu Pahat High School classmate by the name of Kua Ee Kia who is also a civil engineer who graduated from the University of Malaya, now retired in England

This is a small world where all great minds one day meet again

Congratulations to both of you Dr Tam and Ir Lau

Nice to know you except I do not know the difference between cement and concrete. Pity me for being for being so stupid

 
At 11:38 PM , Blogger taionn said...

Thank you so much my dear Great Sifu, Dr. JB Lim, for taking time to leave your kind comment.

I think Dr. Tam may be 2 or 3 years older than you and both of you are Great Sifu to me, one in the engineering field while the other in the medical and scientific research.

Had you chosen engineering as your course of study in your early days, Dr. Lim, I am 101% sure you would have made a great engineer yourself now. In spite of that, you are still so good in Mathematics now even at your advanced age, you easily beat many many engineers around the world in Mathematics!

Thank you once again. Tai Onn

 
At 4:23 PM , Blogger Lim Ju Boo BSc, Postgrad Dip Nutrition, MSc, MD, PhD, FRSPH, FRSM said...

Sifu Engineer Lau

Can you add additional comments below the dotted line what I wrote earlier in your blog about Dr Tam

................................
Thank you for your kind words and confidence in me if I were an engineer

Unfortunately I don't think I have that kind of engineering brains like you and Dr Tam should I be consulted on how to solve problems of stresses and strains if I was asked to build, say a 700 m tower that can withstand sheer winds at 100 kph on the top against shock waves at the bottom during an earthquake

I dont even know which part of the tower is going to fracture first and what sort of steel reinforcement and concrete technology need to be put there under such an event?

This is not just understanding the mathematical theory of it, or the physics of
stress–strain analysis, but the practice of it in engineering

It would be easier to try to understand the theory of combinatorics, differential and discrete Euclidean geometries, group numbers and Ramsey theories, dynamical systems, partial differential system cthat requires only a piece of paper and pen, than trying to digest the engineering aspects of stress and strains in towering structures which would be a torture for my poor old brain

The only practical mathematics I did before I retired was statistical analysis of medical data which I have also now forgotten

The only thing I am now good at is just stare at those twinkle twinkle little stars.

Up above the sky so high. How I wonder what you are. Like a diamond in the sky

Now I am wondering if there are actually diamonds in them when their hydrogen nuclear fusion runs out and their massive gravity will eventually take over to crush the carbon atoms in them form through nucleosynthesis into diamonds

That's all I am capable of wondering

Sorry for my poor understanding in engineering that crushes my poor mind into smithereens.


Jb

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Flag Counter